A little more than 3 years ago I pared down my clothes to a capsule wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is when you have a small number of pieces of the clothing that mix and match together.
The results of this change were amazing.
Not only do I always feel well dressed and put together, I get dressed in 2 minutes each morning. I no longer spend hours shopping, nor do I waste money on clothes that don’t look good on me.
Here are the guidelines to my capsule wardrobe. This is what worked for me, you might design something entirely different. My wardrobe consists of 15 tops, five pants/leggings. Then I have seasonal wear which includes six pieces which include items like cardigans, jackets, ruanas, vests or scarves. So in total I have 26 pieces at any one time. (This doesn’t include my workout wear, pj’s, jewelry or shoes.)
I stick to my favorite colors, black, blue, grey. I have a little bit of purple which is not a favorite color but I have two indestructable blouses in purple that still look pretty good on me.
When I went to a capsule wardrobe some amazing things happened to me.
- I get dressed in under 2 minutes. Gone are the days of me standing in the closet crying that I don’t have anything to wear. I no longer change from one item to the next. I’m dressed and out the door feeling great.
- I don’t spend money and hours shopping. With this small, mix-and-match wardrobe I have hundreds of combinations I can put together so I really don’t need any more clothes. When something wears out or becomes damaged I look for a new piece but otherwise I don’t need to shop. This has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars not to mention hours and hours of time.
- I feel more comfortable when I’m out in the world. Even though I’m basically wearing a uniform – slacks or leggings, v-necked top, with a cardigan or vest – I feel polished and put together.
- I’m more recognizable by having a signature look. Since I go out to lecture and teach I want to be recognized. Having a “uniform” helps people know it’s me.
- I have eliminated one stressful thing to deal with during my day. We, in this modern age, can suffer from decision fatigue. Constantly having to make decisions about minor things means I have less will power and less energy for things are truly important. Eliminating this struggle turned out to be such a gift in my life that I started to minimize in other areas.I love my capsule wardrobe and I recommend it to anyone who has struggled finding something to wear in their own closet.